Phonics - Read Write Inc
Reading and Writing
We use Read Write Inc. Phonics which is a complete literacy programme for 3 to 6 year olds that are learning to read and write. The programme uses synthetic phonics to teach reading and it covers all of the National Curriculum requirements for literacy and language.
- Gets children decoding and comprehending quickly. The special 'three reads' approach ensures that all children gain accuracy, fluency and a good understanding of the text.
- Ensures children read storybooks and non-fiction books matched to their growing phonic knowledge.
- Leaves no child behind. Initial and on-going assessment to track every child's progress.
- Prevents downtime. Direct teaching followed by partner practice means that every child participates in the whole lesson.
We begin using Read Write Inc. when our pupils are in nursery and they start by learning the first 30 sounds in short, daily sessions. When pupils move into reception year, they begin to read storybooks and non-fiction books that are closely matched to their developing phonic knowledge. The sessions are lively and interactive and our pupils make rapid progress. They begin to write confidently and learn to spell using sounds that they know. Their progress is assessed at the end of every half term and they are grouped according to the level they are working at. This ensures that teaching is always focused precisely on what pupils need and the pace of learning is fast. If we are ever concerned about a child's progress in reading, we provide 1:1 intervention for 15 minutes a day to address this and accelerate their progress. These sessions are delivered by highly skilled support staff who have received specific Read Write Inc. 1:1 intervention training.
Most pupils complete the Read Write Inc. programme by the end of Year 1 and are ready to progress to the next stage of their learning. Read Write Inc Literacy and Language begins in year 2 and continues until Year 6 and is a complete literacy programme matched to the National Curriculum. The teaching of reading does not stop when children complete the Read Write Inc. Phonics programme. The skills of reading comprehension are a considerable focus of the Read Write Inc. Literacy and Language programme that children begin when they complete Read Write Inc. phonics.
- Gives every child a deep understanding of what they read. Complete texts from leading authors are introduced using the special 'three reads' approach.
- Fully prepares every child for writing. The teacher models planning, drafting and revising texts. Children mirror this process.
- Teaches grammar in context. This enables children to apply grammar concepts to their own writing.
- Supports the grammar and punctuation aspects of the Key Stage 1 and 2 statutory assessments. It includes practice tests to build children's confidence.
- Creates articulate speakers. Children learn how to debate and present.