Milburn School is a very special place and truly unique. We are privileged to work and learn in a wonderful small school setting that enables children to develop socially, emotionally and academically with a love for learning and the skills to excel throughout their lives.
Our beautiful setting means the village green is our playground and views across the Cumbrian countryside are the background to our learning and play. Situated at the northern end of the Green, there has been a school in the village since at least the 18th century and the present building was constructed in 1851 replacing an earlier, thatched one which was burnt down in 1850. Originally it consisted of just one room designed to accommodate up to 55 pupils under the control of a single teacher. At this time children would generally stay at the school until they reached leaving age – by 1911 this was age 14.
As a small school with small class numbers our children are abel to experience :
- Personalised teaching, support and intervention in line with their interests and needs
- Experience real collaborative learning through mixed aged teaching
- Excellent sporting/creative/musical opportunities, both at Milburn and with our partner schools and cluster of schools
- Outdoor activities on our doorstep with out large forest schools area
Together we inspire and challenge children to develop socially, emotionally and academically with a love for learning and the skills to excel throughout their lives
How is this unique to Milburn Primary School?
A love of learning
Every child is unique with their own talents, personalities and interests. Our small school ensures we are able to make learning engaging, interesting and exciting while celebrating each child as part of our family and taking pride in their own and others achievements. We know each child in depth and can unlock their interests and passion.
A focus on development
Our unique school benefits from a lead teacher and skilled teaching assistant who ensure that each child has a secure understanding of reading, writing and maths as well as a broad curriculum with rich and memorable experiences. Our teacher to child ratio means we can tailor learning to ensure each child is nurtured academically and socially.
Enabling all to excel
Our small size enables us to ensure that every child is valued and learning and experiences are personalised to meet their interests and needs. But our size does not mean we limit our expectations or aspirations. We inspire and challenge our children to reach out and believe. Our small number means we can ensure that every child has the opportunity to excel.
What do we want for children at the end of their unique Milburn learning experience?
Our vision is for children to go on to the next stage of their life as;
- Intelligent & Articulate learners with the knowledge and skills for leading a successful life
- Enterprising & active learners that are willing to take risks and explore our diverse world
- Open Minded & outward looking learners that can respond to challenge and believe